FarrPro

Born and raised in Iowa and a graduate of the University of Iowa, Amos found his calling discovering ways to improve efficiencies for rural communities and farmers while honing in on his passion for engineering and economics.

Q

The Problem

The pork industry represents 4% of the U.S. GDP, and the top 30 pork farms represent 60% of pork production in the industry. Amos was interested in the quality of life of the piglets at farrowing facilities and how 10% of piglets die when being weaned from their mothers — an alarming rate that Amos discovered is directly correlated with inadequate and inefficient heating. The problem? A 140-year-old technology used as the primary source of heating in farrowing facilities – the light bulb. Heat lamps make a gradient pattern, which means that only 20% of the area under the heat lamp is usable for piglets, while the other 80% are too hot or cold and forces them to move closer to their mom, making them susceptible to crushing.
R

The Solution

This discovery led Amos to develop a new type of heater for farrowing facilities that creates a microclimate enclosure for piglets. It provides a roof over two enclosures, which redirects the rays of heat, evenly distributing heat among the piglets and making the design more energy efficient as compared to the standard heating lamp. This technology also supplements the piglets and sows with vitamin D through ultraviolet rays, which previous technology has never been able to provide.

P

Accelerator Takeaway

Amos was partnered with Accelerator investor Grinnell Mutual throughout the incubator period, and learned that insurance companies support new heating technologies for farrowing facilities as they deal with hog farms burning down from heating lamps or mats. Amos and the FarrPro team are currently working with testing partners on a pilot program this fall, and will submit USDA and NIH SBR proposals in 2018 while continuing to test their product at various pork production facilities.